Saturday, July 12, 2008

Multiple Sclerosis Betaseron and MRI PART 6

Well I hope I may be helping some one who is reading my blog. I will talk about betaseron which was the first drug shot that I took. I talked about it in my last blog. I was lucky to take it and be aloud to take this drug .
To date more than 70,000 people worldwide have been treated with Beatseron (Interferon beta-1b) for SC Injection. This MS therapy has been shown to reduce the frequency of Ms exacerbation's and as well as offering other benefits.

Betaseron is injected under the skin every other day and has been shown to be safe in long term clinical studies. Significant side effects including flu like symptoms, menstrual disorders, and injection site reactions (redness, swelling, and blue-black discoloration) have been reported. I put Ice on and take Tylenol if needed. Serious adverse events include depression, suicide, and injection site necrosis which is breakdown of the skin. You need to rotate areas of injection with each dose. This is very important it will get worse if you don't . Remember they have to tell you everything that could possibly happen like any medicine even if it happen only one out of a million people. I am glad that they did not scare me off and I took the medicine and only had a few side affects.

I am going threw pain and hardening of the injection sights right now. I have been taking shots for 15 years. And I NEVER miss a shot. So the are telling me other things to do till the first of Aug. and at that time they will give me an MRI and compare it to the one I had three years ago. So I will tell you what happens in Aug.

Most of the side effects associated with Betaseron use can be managed easily. Flu-like symptoms (fever, chills muscle aches, sweating) decreased significantly with time on treatment. I had all these symptoms but it was not that bad and I Never missed a shot. I always think about what could happen if I don't take the shot. Go sit at Cleveland Clinic and watch the people that come in during a morning and that is enough to make me take my shot. I have done so good and I am so grateful to the Cleveland Clinic and God.

They will give you many test to rule out everything else that it might be and that is good. That is another reason I am glad I went to the clinic they do this in a short amount of time in just days or a few weeks and they figure out what is wrong with you. Because many problems can have the same symptoms, they rule out Lyme disease, Parkinson's there are allot of them. They are all autoimmune diseases. That is why if you give to a charity like aids, or what ever they help MS. They will check your spinal fluid they can tell if you have MS in some people. Men seem to get it in the spinal fluid. More women have MS than men so I've been told. But it is good they give you all these test so you can hurry up and get diagnosed and don't fool around for months or years using up valuable time that you could be getting the help you need before you get worse.

MRI- Magnetic resonance imaging has proven to be of great value to researchers who want to learn about the efficacy and safety of new MS treatments. It is a safe and painless procedure that is used routinely to provide objective, measurable information about the brain.
MRI is an important addition to evaluation methods also.
MRI is considered a useful way to visualize the changes in brain tissue that may account for some of the typical signs and symptoms of relapsing-remitting MS.
This will help you understand terms related to MRI technology.

Lesion: A patch of inflamed tissue in the central nervous system-also referred to as plaque.
Recurrent lesion: A lesion that appears at the same site at which an earlier lesion had disappeared.
Enlarging lesion: A lesion showing a significant increase in size from a lesion that had previous
seemed to be stable.
Active lesion : Any new or enlarging lesion seen on consecutive unenhanced scans, as well as those seen as enhanced lesions.
Enhanced lesions: Lesions seen with the aid of agents that create more contrast in MR images.
Active scan: Any MRI scan showing a new, recurrent, or enlarging lesion.
Disease activity: Measured by the number of active scans and appearances of new lesions.
Lesion load: The total volume of lesions as measured by MRI

No comments: