Sunday, July 13, 2008

Multiple Sclerosis-Sol-medrol-Part7

Hi!
I want to tell you That when I got my MRI and all the other test that is when I knew for sure I had MS. They could not tell years ago if you really had MS. Until they found they could see it on the a MRI. So that was all about the time I was diagnosed 15 years ago. I was so lucky to find the right hospital and doctor and the right technology was available for me. And you are lucky because they have learned allot since then.
One medicine they gave me when I was very bad and other things were not working was Solu-Medrol. This helped me so much, after receiving it I thought like one more dose of that I would feel normal once again. But they can only give you it so much so I never thought I was bad enough to get it again. I am keeping that on the back burner because I may need it more later if I get bad.
The neurologist has ordered the medication methylprednisolone----(Solu-Medrol) for treatment of Multiple sclerosis. Methylprednisolone is a potent anti-inflammatory steroid that may improve your symptoms.
The treatment takes place at the Cleve. Clinic Mellen center each day for 1 to 5 days, depending on your treatment plan. I had it for 3 days and the visiting nurses came to my house and gave it to me intravenous. I live one hour from Cleve. so that is why I got to have it at home. The nurse would come give it to me it took about one hour, for three days.
What can you expect the day of your treatment?
---Plan to be at the Mellen Center for about one hour on the day-s- of your treatment. You may receive blood tests before the treatment to monitor your complete blood count, and sodium and potassium levels.
---The nurse will also check your blood pressure and pulse before and after the treatment.
---The medication is given by intravenous drip for 30 to 45 minutes or injected directly int a vein.
---After the treatment, you can return to your normal daily activities, including driving.
---Following the intravenous treatments, you will be asked to take an oral form of a steroid called prednisone. your nurse will give you a written schedule of when and how often to take the medication.
---You may also be given a prescription for a medication to reduce stomach irritation.

What are some possible side effects?

---Stomach irritation such as indigestion and heartburn
---Increased energy, which may result in difficulty sleeping.
---Rapid heartbeat
---Flushing of the face, neck or chest
---Retaining fluid (Avoid table salt and salty foods.)
---Mood changes (euphoria, irritability, nervousness, restlessness)
---Metallic taste in the mouth
---Stretch marks, especially with weight gain

Remember I only had a few of the side effects and I was only on it for 3 days and it helped so much.
Don't let it scare you!!

Insurance coverage USUALLY covers this Cleve. will get it for you if you need it I'm sure.???

1 comment:

Onnalie said...

I just wanted to tell you that your a wealth of information. So glad that your doing well with your MS.
Great Blgo